A common argument among those living an active lifestyle is whether exercise or diet matters more. It’s easy to see how lacking in either one of these areas can make your goals harder to achieve, but one important piece of the puzzle is missing from this argument.
Sleep is one of the most important, but often overlooked, aspects of good health. Those who sleep a healthy 7-9 hours a night are more likely to perform their best. Proper sleep also helps in regulating body composition, and fighting off cravings.
When we are under-slept, we’re less likely to be physically active and more likely to eat the non-nutritious foods we crave. Whether your goal is muscle gain or fat loss, the road to results will be slowed by lack of sleep.
Sleep is not only important to our physical health, but our mental health as well. Good sleep is a crucial component to keeping our brain functioning sharply. Our ability to focus declines and our mood tends to dip with less sleep.
If you tend to toss and turn at night, and find it difficult to get to sleep, consider optimizing your environment by:
- Eating dinner at least 3 hours before you go to bed.
- Refraining from working/watching tv in bed.
- Limiting bright lights in the 30 minutes to an hour before bed (especially screens).
- Developing a de-stress routine at the end of the day.
- Developing some regularity in your sleeping patterns (going to sleep and waking up around the same time).
- Sleeping in a cold, dark room.
Supplementation is an option for those struggling to fall asleep or stay asleep.
A proper sleep supplement will include:
- Melatonin the hormone your body releases when it’s time for sleep.
- 5-HTP to assist in the production of melatonin.
- Vitamin B6 to produce serotonin and melatonin to regulate mood and lead to peaceful sleep.
- Magnesium which can activate the parasympathetic nervous system, leading to a state of calm.
- Zinc which reduces the amount of time it takes to fall asleep and assists in achieving deep sleep.
- Collagen peptides containing glycine which helps the body naturally reduce its body temperature and prepare for sleep.
Our new Fire Nutrition REMpm sleep formula contains all these ingredients in their proper doses!